Laura graduated from Northumbria University in 2004 with a Law degree. Upon leaving University, she joined a large well known firm in Newcastle upon Tyne, where she initially worked in the Chronic Bronchitis and Emphysema team before joining the Clinical Negligence team in 2007. She chose to specialise in this area of work and continued working within the firm as a valued member of the team, being awarded a training contract in 2010 and qualifying as a Solicitor in 2011.
Laura has always had a particular interest in Clinical Negligence and finds the work very rewarding. Having built up over 13 years’ experience in dealing with Clinical Negligence claims, she was delighted to join the team at Longden Walker and Renney in February 2020, where she took over a large and varied case load of complex matters from an outgoing Senior member of the team.
Over the years Laura has dealt with a wide variety of clinical negligence matters including:
- Ophthalmic treatment and surgery, including delays in detecting and treating detached retinas and Macular Degeneration.
- Hip dysplasia cases in babies, where there was a failure to diagnose the dislocation and treat this following birth, leading to the child needing extensive surgical procedures to treat the dislocation.
- Delay in diagnosis of various fractures, including ankle fractures and scaphoid fractures.
- Delay in diagnosis of cancer cases.
- Failure to detect a brain tumour on a scan which led to extensive surgery and sight impairment.
- Surgical errors, for example during gynaecological surgery and cholecystectomies.
- Pressure sore cases following births.
- Delay in diagnosis of Chrohn’s disease.
In her spare time Laura enjoys spending time with her two young children, and her family and friends. She also enjoys eating out and finding nice new restaurants.