Head of Department: Wills, Trusts and Probate
Laura qualified as a Solicitor in October 2012, having commenced her legal career as a Paralegal in 2007 on graduation from University. Her specialism has always been Wills, Trusts and Probate and she became a Director in the Firm in May 2020.
Laura is a Full Member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) and has full Trust and Estate Practitioner (TEP) status. STEP is a global professional association and its members are internationally recognised as specialists in their field, with a high level of expertise in Wills, Trusts and Probate matters.
Laura is a member of the Private Client Section of The Law Society, a Full Accredited Member of Solicitors for the Elderly, a national organisation consisting of a specialist group of Solicitors who support older and vulnerable people, and she is also a Dementia Friends Champion for the Alzheimer’s Society.
In addition, Laura is a Trustee on the Board of Trustees for Age UK Northumberland.
Laura has responsibility for :-
- The drafting of Wills, including Statutory Wills;
- The administration of estates, including contentious matters;
- Mental capacity issues, including Lasting Powers of Attorney, registration of Enduring Powers of Attorney and Deputyship Applications to the Court of Protection, including contentious matters;
- Trusts, including Personal Injury / Compensation Protection Trusts and the provision of advice to protect the wealth of an individual;
- Conveyancing matters associated with Probate and Wealth Management / Asset Protection, including Severance of Joint Tenancy, Transfers, Declarations of Trust and First Registrations.
Laura also acts as Professional Deputy and Professional Trustee in a number of matters.
When Laura is not at work, she enjoys spending time outdoors, be it running (in preparation for her annual Great North Run in support of the Tiny Lives Trust) along the coastline where she lives or going walking / hiking in Northumberland or the Lake District with her family / friends and dog. She is an avid rugby fan and a long-term South-stand supporter of the Newcastle Falcons and she enjoys getting to Twickenham or Murrayfield to watch international rugby matches, especially if England are playing.